7 Ways You Can Use Your Extension Lead Safely
How to prevent your extension lead from being a fire or shock hazard
By iBlockCube Team
With most of our devices being powered by electricity, having an extension lead is a really a commodity nowadays.
But are you making the most out of your extension lead by using it safely?
Does it matter? Because by simple mistakes and misuses, your extension lead can put you and your family at great risk of fire and electrocution.
Let us dive in right now on ways how to avoid these accidents.
Avoid physically damaging your extension lead
These things can damage your extension lead:
- Laying your wires in busy areas such as hallways and sometimes, under your carpets
- Running your extension lead’s wire between furniture and doorways
Doing these things increases the chance of your extension lead’s wires being damaged.
At the same time, this also increases the chance of you being tripped by the wire or electrocuted by the damaged wire.
Check if your extension lead, your socket, or your gadget is overheating.
Overheating is usually caused by:
- connecting equipment that consumes more power than the lead can handle.
- Your extension lead has a broken part, which causes the power to flow improperly through the circuit.
If your extension lead is overheating, stop using it immediately and replace it with a new one.
Get rid of your older extension leads
Older extension leads have less features than new ones. they often have looser sockets, and thinner wires.
Make sure to buy an extension lead that has the right wire size, tight sockets. Also, having safety lock or cover is beneficial to avoid children or anyone from accidents.
Unplug your extension lead immediately after use.
There are appliances that draw power even if you are not using them.
One of them can be your extension lead, and it may cost you some fortune if you still continue not unplugging them.
According to the US Department of Energy, people spend up to $200 (£160) on electricity even if your devices are turned off.
Unplug your extension lead when not in use, and save that money.
Also, by unplugging your extension lead, you can reduce chances of suffering from power surges.
This surge is caused by charged electricity from your extension lead. Though, there are extension leads that have surge charge protectors that can protect your devices.
Do not use indoor extension lead outdoors
Do not use your indoor extension near your garden pool, or your bathroom.
Water is a very good conductor of electricity, and you don’t want it between you and your extension lead.
Do not take the lead of the one who did this.
As they say, “with great power comes great responsibility”.
The same goes with your extension lead. With your extension lead, you can have more power! Just be responsible and mindful of handling it.
Follow these tips, and your family will be surely safe!